Saturday, March 21, 2015

A New Favorite Hike: Wildcat Mountain Nature Preserve

The view from the top of
Wildcat Mountain.
The weather finally cleared up and I got to go out hiking again this weekend, so I headed straight for Wildcat Mountain Natural Area. I've been dying to get out for weeks and I didn't waste any time. I didn't see any wildcats (probably a good thing), but it was a beautiful day and a great hike.

The start of a trail is pretty rough. Okay, in all fairness, I started off a bit rough. No gradual warm up or easy start. You head straight up the mountain.There are some switchbacks, but it is a steep climb and it is rocky as well. Step carefully! I probably should have picked a little easier hike after three weeks off due to weather, but I am a glutton for punishment. Once I got past the ascent, it was a nice, moderate difficulty hike.

The prize for surviving the ascent is the gorgeous view! I definitely cannot complain about that. I saw some of the prettiest countryside I've seen in Northern Virginia.

The Spring House
This hike also included one of my other favorite things: pieces of history. It was fascinating to follow some of the old stone walls that most likely pre-date the American Civil War. There are also a couple of abandoned farmhouses on the trail, the Spring House and the Smith House.  I love old buildings and walking in the footsteps of those who came so long before us. I wonder what their life was like; what vegetables and flowers they planted; how many kids they had; or if they ever stopped and marveled at the view from their home.

It could have only been more perfect if there shiny historical markers!

The farms and homesteads were abandoned after the Civil War and  still more left in the 1920s when Mother Nature dealt a deathblow to the local economy. A tree blight in the 1920s wiped out most of the chestnut trees in the area. There aren't many anymore, but there are some.

One of the other delights of the trail was the pond down the hill from the Smith House. It was full from the recent rain and snow, but it was so clear! Even in the center of the pond, I could see to the bottom.

As much of a pain as the ascent up the first part of the train was, it was equally a pain going down. The descent wasn't the workout the the ascent was, but given the steepness of the descent and the rocky trail, it was a "proper bastard" to quote a friend. If you hit this trail, take the end nice and slow. A walking stick for extra stability helps.

I am definitely going to do this hike again when things green up. This is one trail I'd love to hike in every season!

The Quick Facts:

Trail: Wildcat Mountain Natural Area maintained by The Nature Conservancy
Length: 2.9 miles
Location: near Warrenton, VA
Hike Time: About 3 hours
Dogs not allowed (Boo!)

Looking uphill to the Smith House



No comments:

Post a Comment