Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Is There a Height Requirement for Bushcraft & Survival?

I want to know if endeavor like those roller coasters at Disney World that say "You cannot ride this ride unless you are taller than this line" because I don't reach all of those lines. God stopped when I was perfect. I don't know what took y'all so long.

When it comes to bushcraft/survival, I'm not in a big hurry to accumulate a lot of gear. I want to get the right stuff and spread out the expense a bit. It took visiting multiple stores and an all day shopping trip to find a pair of hiking boots in my size. I would love to find a backpack that isn't taller than I am.

I know a lot of outdoor gear manufacturers and retailers are targeting women now. REI has an entire campaign around women in the outdoors. Yet, they still seem to think that all women are 5'6"/167 cm and built like Kate Moss. (Just FYI, no normal woman is built like her.) Some of us are short (I stopped at 5'/152 cm). We have hips and boobs. Some of us have more than others. That means straps can't always fall in the same places as a guy and need to adjust differently to accommodate the girls.

The handle is perfect.
The sheath, not so much.
 I found a Morakniv Companion knife that I really like. (Thanks +Chris Swanda / @ChrisSwanda!).  It will work quite well for now, but I imagine I will have to do some serious shopping around when I need anything more heavy duty. I have a hard time finding knives with handles that I can grip properly. Probably shouldn't have a blade go flying out of my hand 'cause I can't hang onto it. Seems like a bad idea anyway.

(Yes, I did get a pink knife. I wanted purple, but they didn't have purple. Instead, I picked pink so that if I hated it, I could send the knife to one of the two guys who recommended it and it would be PINK. Also, if I lose it in the grass or woods, it will be easy to find. And as Tim MacWelch / @timmacwelch pointed out, guys won't steal it.)

Oh yeah, knife makers, women have curves. Belt attachments that don't have a little bit of slack in them make tools and knives stick out from our hips and poke us in the waist. Rigid, plastic sheaths for knives and multitools get hung up on stuff because they don't lay flat on curvy surfaces. I made a paracord lanyard for my knife and I'll wear it around my neck a la Mors Kochanski when it is annoying me on my belt.

I know there is a lot of gear for which size doesn't matter. (Really, I mean it this time.) It seems like for the critical things, where safety and comfort truly matter, it is. (Okay, maybe it does matter.) I won't care if my sleeping bag is a foot too long. I do care that my backpack doesn't end around my knees.

As I try different products, I'll keep the short girls updated!

No comments:

Post a Comment