Sunday, February 15, 2015

Short Girl Buschraft Tool Review - The *gasp*Bear Grylls*gasp* Multi-Tool

The flashlight, multi-tool, sheath, and fire steel. The paracord
is my addition to hook/carry the smaller tools since the
sheath is so awful.
I know as soon as you mention Bear Grylls, many bushcrafters, survivalists, and preppers scoff. Mention his line of Gerber tools and noses start to curl. I received one of the Bear Grylls Gerber multi-tool sets for Christmas. It has the flashlight, a multi-tool, and fire steel. (Yes, I see the noses turning. Chill.)

I actually quite like the multi-tool, but lets knock the little stuff out first. The flashlight is a flashlight. It's small and fits in my purse if I want it to. It's bright and it works. The fire steel also works just like it should. It makes nice, big sparks. Perfectly good. Okay, on to the big stuff.

Next to my thumb is the piece
that warps and makes it
difficult to get the tool free.

What Stinks 

The sheath. My previous comments on rigid. plastic cases still stand. They are uncomfortable on curvy women. This case is particularly bad though. The way the rubber strap attaches to the sheath warps the plastic sheath so that the tool is virtually impossible to get out. I had to pry the tool out one time after I left it in for a few days and cut my finger on the plastic. I can barely get the tool out with two hands when it isn't on my belt, let alone one-handed when it is on my belt. I can't quite get into words how much I hate this plastic sheath. It sucks. I'm looking for a new canvas one to use. Until then, the tool goes in my bag. It's a bit on the big side to be comfy in my pocket.

What is Great

The tool. Gerber makes great multi-tools, whether they have the Bear Grylls name on the side or not. I really don't care whose name is on it. I like it because it works for me. My hand is smaller than a Samsung Galaxy S5 phone. Tip of my fingers to the heel of my hand: 5.75 inches / 14.6 cm. Tiny. Most multi-tools are a little hard to hold onto. Gerber added a rubberized coating to this multi-tool to add a non-slip grip to the tool. That and they had to splash the Bear Grylls orange/gray all over the thing. It is easy to spot when you drop it.

That non-slip grip means that even if the tool is a bit too large for my hand, I can hold onto it. It makes the tool usable for people with small hands and like other Gerber multi-tools, it is very useful. I've used it around the house when I haven't wanted to get my tool box out. (Yes, I have a tool box. No, it isn't pink. Yes, it includes power tools and I know how to use them properly!) I've used it outdoors and it has done everything I asked of it thus far. I've not tried to cut down a tree or split firewood. That's not what it is for. Among other small tasks, I've snipped plants, fixed a bathroom cupboard door, and cut paracord. Like I said before, Gerber makes good multi-tools.

The Summary

If you can get past the Bear Grylls name on the side, this is a great multi-tool, especially if you an benefit from the non-slip grip. It is the only full-sized multi-tool I've handled that I don't struggle to hold onto. Toss the sheath into the trash though. It's beyond worthless. Really disappointed in Gerber for that one.  Overall, it passes the short girl usability test.



No comments:

Post a Comment