Monday, February 23, 2015

Planning My Indoor Herb Garden

One of my orchids. I know it isn't an
herb, but I don't have pics of those.
I love to grow things. Flowers (orchids and African violets are my favorites), house plants (philodendrons have taken over part of my living room), herbs (I once grew a basil plant into a small tree) - if it is green, I'll try to grow it. If I had access to an outdoor garden, I'd grow my own fruits and vegetables too.

Every year, I grow as many herbs as possible in my small condo. I have large northeast-facing windows and great light, so plants do quite well. I always plant a few staples, but try to mix it up a bit and try something new every year. The newbies are still up for debate. I haven't 100% decided yet.

The Staples

Rosemary
Sage
Thyme
Parsley
Basil

These are my favorite herbs and I use them a lot. I'm going to experiment with new uses aside from cooking for the staples this year. I'd really like to get more self-sufficient when it comes to remedies, teas, and such. Well, except for the basil. I usually consume all of that making pesto!

The Newbies

Lemon Balm
Spearmint
Arugula (Rocket)
Bay laurel

I usually plant some form of mint every year, but this year I'm planting two. I want to use the lemon balm for tea. I'll cook quite a bit with spearmint. It blends well with basil. I eat arugula almost every day in some form, so I might as well grow my own. The bay laurel is one I've wanted for a very long time.

I might have room for a few more since I have an additional plant stand this year. Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment