Saturday, February 14, 2015

What Were They Thinking and Why Aren't They Moving?

I frequently wonder what goes through other people's minds in emergencies. "What the hell were they thinking?" is one of my favorite questions. I know what's in my own head. (Don't ask. You don't want to know.) I am pretty good to have around in an emergency though. I am calm, I make decisions, and I look out for other people.

Then I wonder why people aren't prepared for emergencies. I work in Washington, DC. (Thank goodness, I don't have to live there.) The odds of something happening are pretty good, even if it is just a fire drill in the building. It boggles my mind when people don't actually get off their butts and leave when the alarm goes off as it did on Monday. We get notified of drills, so outside of those, if the alarm goes off it is probably something.

The alarm went off, I walked out of our meeting, changed into my winter boots, grabbed my purse, phone, and get-home bag and was ready to head out in about 90 seconds. We were allowed back in about 15 minutes later, but the alarm went off again withing moments and by this time, I'd packed up my laptop and was ready to head home. (Left the get-home bag because it was a building-only event.)

During our evacuation, I watched several women in high heels trying to negotiate stairs and dirty alleys. They couldn't find their keys or their phones. I would have shaken my head in dismay if I hadn't been trying to herd the pregnant co-worker out the door. ("No, you don't need to stop at the restroom. There is smoke in the hall and the building might be on fire. You can pee at the McDonalds across the street." I know, I'm mean.)

For the record, nothing was on fire. The motor of a power tool used by a construction crew on another floor set off the alarm. My pregnant co-worker made it to McDonalds to use the restroom just fine. That really isn't the point though. In an emergency, you need to be ready to go and you need to GO. Have sensible walking shoes you can slip on. Keep all your crap together. That's what purses are for, after all. Most of all, don't stop at the damned bathroom if the building might be on fire.

Of course, the upside of the evacuation was that our office musters outside a bar around the corner from our building. (Yes, we were outside the bar...temporarily.)

No comments:

Post a Comment