Friday, February 6, 2015

Who to Follow for Fun on #FF and Why

Not too long ago, I wrote about some of the more amusing people I've encountered on Twitter since following survivalists and preppers and goat farmers, Oh My! I also find that there are quite a few not really worth following. I'm pretty particular about who I trust and who I turn to for information.

There's a hashtag trend on Fridays to get people more followers (#ff). It's a great idea, but I always wonder why I'm being told these people are worth my time. I hate having too much chaff in my Twitter feed while I figure out if the names after #ff really are worth #ff.

So instead of just a random list of names, these are a few people I've learned quite a bit from and believe are worth your time. You should #ff them. Wow, that sounded much dirtier than I thought it would. Just follow them on Twitter and keep the other stuff to yourself.

A few are survivalist pros, You'll learn something from everyone of them and you'll get a chuckle or two as well. (In some random order...)

Tim MacWelch uses the lure of Maple wine to entice students to attend his classes. (It works, by the way. I took Winter Wild Edible Plants. The wine? It was awesome!) (@timmacwelch) I've already signed up for two more wines - I mean classes - and his tweets include links to his blog posts for Outdoor Life Magazine.

John Hudson is often called "the professor" by fellow Dude You're Screwed star Terry Schappert. It fits.You'll absolutely learn something from every tweet and link he posts. He's a great source for interesting articles and the occasional music tip (the Stone Roses were a nice Christmas pressie). He also makes puns that would make even my father, the master of all things punny, proud. Truth be told, Mr. Hudson is to blame for at least three pun wars on Twitter between Becky Jo and me. This could be considered a strike against him if you follow our Twitter feeds. (@jhsurvival)

Terry Schappert doesn't describe himself as a survivalist, but as a U.S. Army Special Forces, Ranger, Templar and Dog Lover. He is one of the most thoughtful, wise warriors I've read in quite a while. He encourages discussion and is respectful of those who disagree with him respectfully. He always has links to articles you should read, even if you disagree. Besides, any man who will carry a puppy for four days through Romania deserves a follow or 50. (@terryschappert)


A couple are everyday people who have plenty worth saying...or are crazy goat farmers. (Please note, I only included in this section those who gave me permission.)

Chris Griffin is the guy I affectionately call the Crazy Goat Farmer. I'm pretty sure he's the one in the hat. He's really not crazy, but he is funny and full of sage advice on everything from animals to soap to knives. He runs a micro-farm in Virginia and has a website for his farm, Griffin's Ark. The farm also sells amazing goat milk soaps. (@griffinsark)

Becky Jo is one of my favorite pun sparring partners on Twitter. She's sharp, a Dude You're Screwed fan, punny, and full of interesting recipes and homesteading tips. Her current mission is to get the Discovery Channel to pick up the show for another season, thus the profile pic. (It was either this or a raging Xena, Warrior Princess, and I'm not sure that was quite appropriate.) Mostly, she's punny and we have a lot of fun going back and forth. She wins most of the time, but every once in a while, I slip in a good pun. (Is there such a thing?) (@BeckyJoSpray)

And saving the best for last...

You HAVE to follow Rosie! Rosie is the awesome puppy that Terry Schappert carried through Romania for Dude You're Screwed and she totally won the game (use #RosieWinsTheGame)! She lives in Colorado with the cameraman now, but she peeks in from time to time on Twitter to say hi. (@RosieDYSStar)


No comments:

Post a Comment